Thanks for everyones help so far.

How do I modprobe for eth0 !!! eth0 is not a real module is it ? I've tried
to ascertain what it is modprob'ing but so far I haven't discovered which one
it is. If 2.2 could find it perhaps a module which is no longer supported in
2.4 (I find that hard to believe since it is only an ethernet card !).

If I am going to switch to 2.4 I need Samba and NFS. When SMB starts up it
appears to succeed, but NMB fails.

Owen