I am currently investigating some problems I am seeing with the RPM
database getting corrupted or taking huge amounts of time.

Here is what I have found so far...

It seems that when you update a package, the ordinal position in the
database is marked empty, but not reused.  After a period of time of
frequent updates, (For example, security updates and/or Helix Gnome) the
database grows in size and can get quite large.  When the databases start
getting over about 64 megs, problems start occuring.  I am not certain if
it is a bug in the database libraries or what just yet.

Ways around it?  "rpm --rebuilddb" packs everything down again.  (Takes
just a minute or two on my 333 Celeron.)

I would suggest that a rebuild be done before the upgrade starts to add
packages to the database.  This will help prevent the 22 hour upgrades.
(Hopefully. If not, then there are more problems...)

[EMAIL PROTECTED] | Note to AOL users: for a quick shortcut to reply
Alan Olsen            | to my mail, just hit the ctrl, alt and del keys.
    "In the future, everything will have its 15 minutes of blame."