I upgraded to the grub-0.5.96.1-1mdk release yesterday and discovered that
it's fatal.  Grub reports an incompability between stage1 and stage2.  Ignore
or overlook the warning message the first time around and you'll find
yourself with an unbootable system.

To protect yourself, save the contents of /boot/grub and an OLD copy of
/usr/sbin/grub to a floppy so you've got a backout path.  The reason I'm
suggesting an old copy of grub (I used the executable from grub-0.5.94-12mdk)
is because the latest grub does not work with 7.2 installer CD (mine was
7.2beta3 so this may be a non-issue with a current install CD) in rescue mode.

Recovering from this isn't how I planned to spend a Sunday evening, but hey,
it's cooker, so I expect this every now and then :-(

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]