> you now what idle mean ?

There's no need to be rude !

All I was doing was reporting that on the Mandrake 2.4 kernel gtop reports
kapm-idled as using somewhere between 40 and 80% CPU while on the Red Hat 2.4
kernel it is reported as 0%. And it would appear that I'm not alone. I could
post a report to the Kernel list, but since it happens with the Mandrake
kernel but NOT the Red Hat one I thought I would start with the Mandrake list.

If it "doen't do anything" then why is it using 40 - 80% CPU resource ?

This was supposed to be a constructive observation !

Owen