On Tue, 19 Dec 2000, Robert L Martin wrote:

> > I just installed Mandrake 7.2 on my laptop, and during the boot
> process
> > it tries to load the module snd-card-ymfpci, but it says it cannot
> > locate the module. I'd like to know how to resolve this problem so I
> can
> > listen to music while I work :)
>
> urpmi alsa
> and as an example for my master list thing what are the relevent lines
> for modules.conf JIC alsa setup doesn't
> (since l-m 7.2 retail-beta can't setup a sound blaster 16 pnp isa card)

That is the Yamaha sound card. (Sounds like a Vaio laptop. ]:>)

The problem is that the Alsa drivers are not in the /lib/modules directory
for the currently running kernel.  This happens if you run with just about
anything other than the stock kernel.  (It will certainly happen with the
secure kernel.)

You need to install Alsa in the modules directory for the currently
running kernel or switch back to the stock kernel. You have no other
option here as the Yamaha PCI cards are not properly supported by the
kernel. They are only supported in the Alsa drivers or in the commercial
OSS drivers.  (And I like the Alsa drivers better, though they are a pain
to set up for that card.)

Also, remember to turn down the microphone on the sound as soon as
possible.  The feedback will hurt otherwise.  (And don't try configuring
sund drivers on a bus. It only annoys the passengers when this happens.)

[EMAIL PROTECTED] | Note to AOL users: for a quick shortcut to reply
Alan Olsen            | to my mail, just hit the ctrl, alt and del keys.
    "In the future, everything will have its 15 minutes of blame."