To followup on my last message...

I found the problem.  I did not have rpc.statd running on the client
machine.  Why?  Because the nfslock startup script does this little
test:

   NEED_LOCKD=yes
   if test -f /proc/ksyms
   then
       # We need to be conservative and run lockd,
       # unless we can prove that it isn't required.
       grep -q lockdctl /proc/ksyms || NEED_LOCKD=no
   fi

   [ -x /usr/sbin/rpc.lockd ] || exit 0
   [ -x /usr/sbin/rpc.statd ] || exit 0
   [ "$NEED_LOCKD" = no ] && exit 0

and the rpc.statd startup is below that block.  This methodology is by
proof incorrect.  It seems that even though you do not need rpc.lockd
with the knfsd in 2.4.0, you still need rpc.statd running.

I must say, I am getting REALLY pissed off at that mouse problem.  :-)

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell