I have discovered an interesting problem with 2.4.0 and X, and I'm not sure
what's going on. I've been running XFree86-4.0.1-28mdk and related packages
for a while, with no major problems (aside from random segfaults from time
to time, but that's another story entirely). I've also had kernel 2.2.18 (my
own build, not a package) running since it was released in December. I
finally managed to build kernel 2.4.0 (with and without reiserfs patch, and
without any -ac patches). I can boot and work from the command line just
find, SVGATextMode works fine, ncurses apps work fine, and everything seems
to be normal. However, when I attempt to run X, the screen blanks out, and
nothing more can be done. Ctrl-Alt-Bksp to kill the X server doesn't work,
Ctrl-Alt-F[1-12] doesn't work for switching virtual desktops, nothing. I can
ssh from another box and manually kill all the offending processes, but the
screen doesn't return, and I have to run the shutdown command remotely to
get control of the console once more. When I run 'ps ax' it shows 'X :0' as
running (R) for an extended period, but nothing happens. Has anybody had
problems similar to this? I'm downloading the precompiled binaries for
glibc-22 from xfree86.org right now, to see if that fixes the problem.

Matt Morrison