On 2001.01.28 20:38:47 +0400 Marcel Pol wrote:

> On 28-Jan-01 Guillaume Rousse wrote:
> > Did someone manage to setup XFree 4.0.1 with a S3Trio3D chip ?
> > XFree doc says it's supported by s3virge driver, but using this turns
> > the display off (even for virtual consoles) . XFdrake relies on SVGA
> > server from 3.3.6 for this, so i guess it's a safer choice.
>
> I used a s3virge Dx375 card i believe. I wouldn't know if that's the same
> chipset.
> The strange thing was that when i set it up with 800x600 at 16bpp all i
> got was a black screen, and it crashed my box. at least there seemed no
> way to reboot.
> Any other configuration worked fine for me. Switching to 1024x768 went
> fine (ouch, 14 inch monitor) and also switching to 24bpp went fine. it
> was just with that combination. Strange though.

The exact contray for me : i was unable to use 1024*768 (and upper
resolutions), with any color depth, whereas 800*600 was fine.
Problem symptoms are the same as you're describing : black screen and no
access to console. I had to connect via ssh, and use 'reboot' twice. From
the severe following fsck, i guess there were some filesystems that
couldn't be unmounted. In /var/log/XFree86.0.log, i have a registry dump
from the driver, so it's clearly a crash.
I think i'll stay with 800*600 for the moment. As it is a server, with X
normally turned off, it's not so important after all.
--
Any system which depends on human reliability is unreliable
                -- Murphy's Laws on Technology n°13