OS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> This is not related to Cooker, but since there is such a body of knowledge
> out there I thought I would ask anyway.
>
> Does anyone know :
>
> a) What is the kernel 2.4 threading model. The old 2.2 had a many-to-many
> model, but is this still true for 2.4.

The kernel doesn't know about threads (ie they're normal processes)
The glibc pthread use one-to-one model as before.
many-to-one doesn't benefit from SMP and sucks on scaling.
1) one-to-one is simpler and 2) linux has very fast context switches
=> the many-to-many model is just plain overhead on Linux.

> b) IBM 're-discovered' the short comings of only having this model. They
> produced some code that also put many-to-one and one-to-one threading into a
> 2.3 kernel. Was this code accepted into the kernel development tree ?

no.