----- Original Message -----
From: "Russell "Elik" Rademacher" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, February 09, 2001 12:47
Subject: [Cooker] LIDS Patch into the Kernel?

> Have anyone considered patching the Secure Kernel with the LIDS from
> http://www.lids.org for Linux?  I am thinking of patching the secure
kernel
> files with that and then compile it to see if I can implement a new system
> to contribute back to the Mandrake for it.
>
> Dunno if we have released the 2.2.18 version yet, but I am looking into
> patching the 2.2.17 version at this moment and try it from there to see
how
> it works and see if it is worth while addition and to make Mandrake stands
> out from other distros by having it part of the standard features.
>
> Don't get me wrong...it got wonderful stuff, but we need a good IDS system
> in there and frankly... I cannot seems to find one that is good for host
by
> host basis, not network version.  Snort comes to mind, but I cannot afford
> to setup a spare box to do the monitoring of all servers from remote box,
> when I can do something about it on host basis.
> Linux Administrator & Consultant
> Russell "Elik" Rademacher

Hey Russel:

Are you aware of the MandrakeSoft 'cookfire' project?
The kernel for that is 2.2.18 and much of what LIDS does would be very
useful in that environment, imo.  It is a subset of 7.2 but stands on its
own - without an Xserver.
It is currently in 'beta' and there is now an ISO available for it too; look
for 'cookfire' or  "cookfire-1.0beta2.i386.iso" if you want to give it a
whirl*.  I think that it is intended to be the place for "Mandrake Security"
with successful implementations there being put into the main distr as
appropriate... but ICBW.
Anyway, I think those might be the people with whom you want to discuss your
very good(imo)idea(s).
There is a mailing list:  [EMAIL PROTECTED] .
* ISO's here:
ftp://ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de/pub/Mirrors/Mandrake-iso/cookfire-1.0beta2.i
386.iso

ftp://ftp.du.se/pub/mandrake-iso/cookfire-1.0beta2.i386.iso

ftp://sunsite.uio.no/pub/unix/Linux/Mandrake-iso/cookfire-1.0beta2.i386.iso