Greg Sarsons wrote:

> KT7-Raid ...
>
> The board supports DMA/33 and Ultra DMA/66 on IDE1/2 and ata-100(or
> UDMA100 if you like) on IDE3/4 using a HPT370 controller.  The  IBM
> Deskstar Ultra ATA100 7200rpm drive is on ide3.
>
> I haven't had time to play around hdparm yet so this is what the default
> settings are reporting.
>
> Timing buffer-cache 128 MB in .74 seconds = 172.97 MB/sec
> Timing buffered disk reads: 64 MB in 1.8 seconds = 35.56 MB/sec

Your default is pretty good - after tweaking, I get the same 35MB/sec
cached throughput on ATA100, DMA 5.  You know that UDMA 66 and above
reqires a special short (max 12") 80-conductor cable between the 40
pin plugs, don't you?  I use a special ATA100 circular cross-section
cable about 65 cm in length which makes things much easier to arrange
in the box   And that the master should be at the end of the cable,
with any slave connected to the middle connector.

--
Regards,

Ron. [au]