On 22 Feb 2001, [iso-8859-1] François Pons wrote:

> A solution is to upgrade basesystem alone with rpm or use "urpmi -m packages"
> which is a minimal upgrade mechanism (currently slow but may be severely
> optimized). This mode of urpmi may be set up as default in little time because
> it correspond to more exactly the user needs.

Still not the same. Sorry, I've lost the example - but I had new
initscripts-5.60-6mdk and new glibc/ldconfig-2.2.2-4mdk to install. urpmq
-d inistcripts lists no dependencies:

root@localhost ~ # urpmq -d initscripts
read depslist file [/var/lib/urpmi/depslist.ordered]
initscripts

but urpmi -m initscripts still wanted to install at least ldconfig (and
somethig else, I forgot)

Besides, -m spits out a lot of debug messages.

The point is to pull only those RPMs that are really needed to satisfy
dependencies. Even when RPM foo depends on RPM bar and I have older
version of bar installed, but foo does NOT requires new version, I do NOT
want new version automatically installed. It may be actually useful, but
it is difference between "install package with dependencies closure" and
"update all required packages as well"

But, hey, it is a perl ... let's see if I have time at weekend :-)

-andrej