--- Sérvio Túlio P. Amarante <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > 2. The xfs server dies without leaving any trace of it's dead when you
> > probe some fonts with any application; those fonts worked fine before.
> >

> It may be related to a bug in xfs from XFree86 4.0.2, that is still waiting

I think I saw something about this in other news groups, but could not find any
more info. Do you know more about it?

> for a fix. If you start xfs from linuxconf, for example, you can get your

Uh? I don't get it. What do you mean I can get my fonts back?

> fonts back. Netscape 6 and wine are among the things that can kill xfs.

Actually any application, gnome, wine, netscape, etc. will kill xfs if you try
some fonts. If you want to reproduce this, do the following:

1. Open a terminal window and execute the following script:
        while true; do clear;ps ax|grep xfs;sleep 1;done

2. In the same desktop (so you can see the status of xfs), open the gnome font
selector, and begin poking at all fonts until you crash xfs. A particular
encoding that I have found to crash xfs almost always is the ASCII-0 under any
windows font. I think that all of the default fonts (misc, 75dpi, 100dpi,
Type1, Speedo, and mdk) do not crash it.

=====