--- Peter Ruskin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Monday 05 March 2001 05:00, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> > It would be nice if the directory in /usr/src that kernel-source went
> > into was fully versioned.  i.e. 2.4.1-22mdk
> >
> > This would be nice because it is sometimes necessary to keep several
> > kernels' worth of sources around for various machines.  For instance,
> > I could upgrade my main Cooker machine to the latest 2.4.2-*mdk kernel
> > but I still need the sources for 2.4.1-22mdk because my firewall is
> > running that and cannot be updated to the latest until the IPSEC is
> > turned back on.  This is just one case for the argument though.  I
> > think it is generally a good idea.
> >
> > Thots?
> >
> > b.
>
> I agree.  I do this manually now after each kernel source upgrade, to prevent
>
> the source being overwritten by the next upgrade.

Just don't do an upgrade!

First do an upgrade (rpm -Uvh) for all the kernel packages, but the source, and
then do an install (rpm -ivh --nodeps). You may have problems with the
kernel-header pkg., so the best way is to:

1. Keep older packages around.
2. Upgrade *all* kernel packages with rpm -Uvh
3. Install the old source package with rpm -ivh --nodeps

=====