> Has anyone installed Mandrake 8.0 on a machine with
> the Intel 815e chipset?

Yes. ASUS CUSL2 motherboard. No problems up to the last kernel update :-)

                                    I ask because I have one and I
> use both usb keybaord and mouse, but the mouse and
> keyboard stop working after choosing the usb device
> module. Is there direct support for this chipset?

Sorry, do not have one. Cannot help here. But I know, that USB mouse was
giving problem under Windows as well (on the above motherboard at least, may
be BIOS problem).
> noticed during boot that it detected a PII chipset and
> was curious if this was for the Intel 440 chipset.

You probably mean IDE PIIX4 - it is O.K., it is a generic driver for all Intel
bus master controllers. It is not Penitum II :-)

-andrej