> >   Thanks Michel for mentioning it -- I have here a couple
> > of i486, and an
> > i486SX -- I could really use Mdk8 compiled for i486 ! I
> > plan to use only
> > one distribution for all the computers here, so I really
> > hope that Mdk8
> > will offer i486 compatibility !
> >
> >   Who in Mandrake has this under their belt ? Are they on
> > this list ? Can
> > they answer whether Mdk8 will run (albeit not optimised) on i486 ?
>
> We have decided to drop the support for i486 when releasing
> Linux-Mandrake-7.1.
>
> Thus the freshest LM running on i486 is 7.0, as you can verify here:
>
> http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/ftp.php3
>
> Of course, this is due to the balance between resources-cost and
> targetted-public-equipement. (other ports do enter the
> competition, as you
> can see on the given link).

I totally understand the situation, and don't really
disagree with it.

I do have one question though, that I have asked a number
of times and never really gotten a clear/good response
on.  Is it at all possible to have the installation
process compiled for an i486?  That way I could rebuild
all the packages I want and use the same installation
images.  That would make life SOOO much better for me,
and I could get Red Hat off all these pre-Pentium
systems.

Don Head
SAIR LCA, CIW-P, Network+, A+

Systems Administrator      [ [EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
Web Designer                            [ 1 314 997-7847 ]
[ AIM - Don Wave ] [ ICQ - 18804935 ] [ Yahoo - Don_Wave ]