Guillaume Cottenceau wrote:

> Yo,
>
> I've seen many people asking for XFS in the distro.
>
> Please could you sum up the reasons why you think it's needed, in
> particular in comparison with reiserfs.
>
> Any reasons (technical, ethical, marketal, ethereal...) are welcome,
> provided they are expressed in a short and efficient way.

Pros:
1. A set fs format that works on all linux platforms and makes i easy to
transfer filesystems from Irix <-> linux
   and doesn't change every minute (reiserfs 3.5 -> 3.6 anybody)
2. Working fsck
3. Scalable, ie up to 2TB filesystems (since linux doesn't handle more atm)
4. Fast Journaling Filesystem
5. Proven design (on Irix)
6. Works with nfs 2,3 without any special patches
7. can attach metadata to files
8. Works with POSIX ACL
9. Works with latest LVM

Cons: