Strange things I've noticed with the latest cooker (11th March 2001)

kpm shows very odd %cpu usage for most programs - either 0 or 99%, it
seems to show any sign of demand as 99%. Now memory usage on X is
6230% !
even though it is using about 8meg of ram on a 128Mb machine. gtop
does
not appear to suffer these strange effects.

kbiff works fine but for some reason if the screen is blanked using
the
screensaver, then when the screen comes on again the taskbar icon
disappears, never to be seen again - the space is still there but it
is
empty. It still apears to be working because notifications still work.

I saw suggested somewhere that increasing the priority of the x server
can cause some noticeable speed increase - I have manually been
increasing the priority to -10 and have noticed significant increase
in
the feel of the speed of the machine - is this a good idea to do by
default or stupid?

Since using a 2.4 kernel (now 2.4.2-10mdk) my apostrophe (') and quote
(") key have to be pressed twice for the character to appear! I saw
somewhere somebody mentioning this in kernel traffic - has anyone else
had this problem?

Con.