Jason Straight wrote:

> It seems ipop3d won't allow me to login. On further inspection the xinetd
> startups for both pop3s and ipop3d are exactly the same. pop3s is supposed to
> be the secure mode one, I am guessing that what's going on here is that
> ipop3d is trying to use ssl when in fact I don't want to.

Not exactly the same binary support both services, SSL and not SSL. Maybe we
can create link binaries for ipop3s and imapds, so that different entries
could be used in /etc/hosts.allow. Chmouel what do you think?

The fact that it isn't working is due to problem with latest pam 0.74, we
are still investigating on, in fact if in /etc/pam.d/pop3|imap you place

auth            required        pam_unix.so
account         required        pam_unix.so
password        required        pam_deny.so
session         required        pam_unix.so

which is not the right entry, imap/pop3 is working correctly either in SSL or non SSL
mode.

Note also that to get native SSL support with either pop3s and imaps you need to place
a valid SSL certificate (see openssl doc for how to build it) into
/usr/share/ssl/certs/imapd.pem
and /usr/share/ssl/certs/ipop3d.pem.

Regarding clients for SSL support currently on Linux there is only netscape
that supports IMAPs natively. KMail had SSL POP3 support in KDE 2.0, but
now in KDE 2.1 I no longer see the checkflag in KMail for POP3 SSL support.
Alternative for Linux clients is to use stunnel. In Windows instead latest
Eudora beta 5.1.0.X  and OutLook 5 supports both imap and pop3 SSL natively.

bye.
Giuseppe