Although the thing said it was installing, when it rebooted there were
errors in reading the advansys scsi drivers and it ended in a kernel panic.

read the note re kernel bug about VIA Apollo Pro chipsets and WD drives
greater than 8.5 gigs.

I have a VIA Apollo Pro chipset but I don't have a Western Digital hard
drive.  I have a Seagate SCSI hard drive, 9.1 gigs.

Also, I didn't try to use DrakX to partition the drive.  I used Partition
commander to make separate linux and swap partitions (not extended dos-linux
partitions as Drak-X makes if the thing has windows on it.  The linux
partition is way smaller than 8.5 gigs.

Installed a 7.2 system and jammed on the glibc2.2 libraries.  live-update on
the Beta 1 CD wouldn't run with a plain 7.2 system but will now run although
there are some error messages.  Didn't try updating.  Is this a bad idea, do
you think?   Does the kernel bug apply to all VIA Apollo Pro motherboards or
just ones connected to WD hard drives?