Chmouel Boudjnah wrote:

> > > no need to put anything /lib and /usr/lib is hardcoded and others
> > > programs put himself entry (XFree => /usr/X11R6/lib etc..)
> > >

> > You missed the point. It was an *UPGRADE*; so glibc happily *erased* whatever
> > was put in by XFree et al.
>
> strange the ld.so.conf is :
>
> %verify(not md5 size mtime) %config(noreplace) %_sysconfdir/ld.so.conf
>
> so it should not be erased..
>

> > -andrej
> >

> --
> MandrakeSoft Inc                     http://www.chmouel.org
>                       --Chmouel

I've also have had the same problem when upgrading glibc.  I found out after
programs were unable to find libraries (in my mind, rebooting was not a option
until i resolve the problem), I recreated the links manually.  If I recall it did
not make a backup of the existing ld.so.conf.  It happened on both of my boxes (I
was prepared for the second).  This happened a few months ago when I had a 7.2 box
and was upgrading glibc from the cooker ( i think glibc2.2.1-xxmdk)  I also
remember both times the glibc rpm complained about it needing ldconfig (did not
mention newer version), even though it was allready installed (rpm -V ldconfig),
on one box I installed the version of the 7.2 cdrom, on the other I downloaded the
cooker ver.  Didn't seem to make a difference though.

Jose