Greg Sarsons wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > 13) DESKTOP:   Running "kpackage" > File > Find file > (i specified
> > "tar") yeilds in kde crashing.  Did a File > Find package > and
> > specified `tar' prior to this!)
> >
> > 14) DESKTOP:  Xosview reports 242MB ram used...and using 13MB SWAP
> > used.  Wow. Although the majority of Ram that is being used is
> > "Buffered" and "Cached".
> >
> > 15) DESKTOP:  Linuxconf and Netconf don't work. yikes?
> >
> > [root]# linuxconf
> > sub-dictionnary wineconf: Not enough messages 111 < 122
> > [root]# netconf
> > sub-dictionnary wineconf: Not enough messages 111 < 122
> >
> > 16) DEVELOPEMENT:  doing:
> >
> > ./configure
> > Checking for perl...
> > Checking for POSIX threads...
> > Checking for Qt...
> > Error: could not find the Qt include files.
> > Please check your Qt installation and provide the --with-qt-includes if
> > necessary
> >
> > Although the fix to this is obvious!  I have noticed several problems
> > with
> > this when compiling with QT and QT2 sources!!  Hopefully using QT2
> > solves this
> > issue completely.(?)
> >
> > 17) DEVELOPEMENT:  NVIDIA Drivers 0.9-6 version
> >
> > Will get a ton of  unressolved symbols.  Got them even prior to this
> > upgrade
> > over cooker.  Works fine in mdk 7.2 tho, eh.  Later, found out about the
> > 0.9-7 recent driver release and they compile and seem to work fine in
> > cooker 8.0.
> >
> > 18)  DESKTOP:  Did a "restart X Server" at the login screen and the
> > xfree server crashed sending me back to the console.  (this was prior to
> > fiddling with the nvidia driver)
> >
> > 19)  Shutdown:  On a last note, I noticed some services not getting "OK"
> > displayed when shutting down....nfs lock, etc...etc...
> >
> > COMMENTS:  I'm really happy to see that your staying current with Xfree
> > 4.02 and KDE 2.1 latest packages!  Although it didn't look like they'd
> > make it into the next release of mdk 8.0, I'm glad your adding these as
> > needed...and they are much desired!  This is starting to look like I may
> > upgrade to mdk 8.0 after all. Personnally, I think you should upgrade
> > the majority of the packages just prior to release or freeze (ie. KDE,
> > Kernel, Xfree, ...).
> >
> > One last question, will someone be building the rpm's for i686 and
> > higher archs or do most just use i586 rpm's?  If so, where's a good
> > place to download the i686 rpm's? (....mainly, when this mdk version 8.0
> > is released)  (Come to think of it, I guess I could build them inside of
> > cooker, since it'll have all the required packages install already
> > eh?...just thought of this...eh.)
> >
> > --
> > -----
> > My pulic key (in armor format) & Homepage can be found at:
> > http://www.alltel.net/rogerx/index.html
> >
> > My ICQ UIN# = 21252173
> >
> > (Please reply only in ascii/text format!  Remove "-nospam" in email

try this in the /etc/modules.conf

options aha152x aha152x1=0x340,11,7

and modprobe aha152x or add it to your /etc/modules file.

oops.  these are my config settings for mdk 7.2 with kernel 2.4.2
self-installed.
should be similar.

As I said, on my first cooker install a couple of weeks ago, usb mouse
and scsi adapter were all auto detected no problems.  when i recently
upgraded that cooker install, i had to "specify" the options
"aha152x=0x340,11,7" but i used the hd.img boot disk on both
install/upgrades.

I have yet to hear of any new drives from imation, based on the ls120.
What's nice about it is, it uses both 3 1/2" floppies and the 120mb
floppies.  Much faster than the standard floppy.  And it only uses 1
IRQ, rather than having a zip drive and floppy which will take up 2
irq's....this is a prob with windows98/me...lol.

http://www.imation.com/products/data/content/0,1011,1031,00.html

seems like they have discontinued selling the internal drives (bummer).
Bums me out because the question is, "Do you want a faster 3 1/2" drive
or a lousy standard slow floppy?"

--
-----