On Saturday 24 March 2001 Peter Ruskin wrote:
> > On Saturday 24 March 2001 Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> >
> > Since 2.4, the situation has changed a bit. You now can have
> > either _no_ swap or swap > 2* phyisical memory, which would be 8GB.
> > Running the system with anything between that (0 < swapspace < 8GB
> > for you) is considered very bad now and the recommendation remains
> > to enable swap.

> Could you explain this further, please?  I have 384MB RAM and a swap
> file about the same size.  I have sufficient disk space to double
> the swap file size, but as it is there is never more than 1MB used.

A couple of people have asked this.  AFAIK, there have been reports
that (0 < swapspace < 2*physical ram) is suspected to cause problems
on systems that use a 'himem enabled' kernel.  Since you have less
than 896M of physical memory, you probably aren't using 'highmem
enabled' kernel and don't need to worry about this.  Set the swap
partition to the size works best for you.

Regards,
Rick