Hello,

I'm using mandrake distribution since quite a time now, and I'm especially
happy to see the activity on the Cooker which allow to keep up to date
with the latest release.

Therefore, there's stg that I find a little puzzling : why is it that
every time a new release (ie MDK 8) is showing, all the RPM packages
suddendly requires dependencies that weren't needed with the latest
"official" release (MDK 7.2 in this case) ?

Let's take an example : I wanted to try to install the latest openssl
0.9.6 from cooker instead of the 0.9.5 currently in mdk 7.2.
I got a 'GLIBC 2.2' needed, but I don't understand why. Obviously openssl
consists of libraries, so there shouldn't be real dependencies on glibc
2.2 (I know open ssl 0.9.6 compiles even xith the old libc5), so why do I
get this kind of dependencies ?
Is that the standard mandrake RPM policy to add require for the latest
GLIBC (instead of requiring for example GLIBC >= 2.0) ? Do you use some
kind of predifine macros to build your RPMs that tend to add these
constraints ? Or could I just use '--nodeps' to force insalling those RPMs ?

I had a similar example hen I wanted to try to install xmms 1.4.1 over mdk
7.2 -> missing libstdc++ dependency.

All in all, I find it very annoying to be forced to upgrade the whole
system to install only a few recent packages (not that I don't like
upgrading to the latest MDK distrib, it's just I'd like to do it 'step by
step' before resintalling the whole distrib).
While RPM was meant to be a format to ease packages update, it seems
there's a trend with various distrib where upgrading some packages with
those from a more recent distrib is impossible (but not due to missing
libraries functionnalities, due to the way the RPM files are build).

Am I all wrong ? Taking the example of openssl or xmms, could someone
explain me why the packages in MDK 8 could not be compatible with MDK 7.2 ?

I really think that would be a major advance if distrib 'n' could be
compatible with 'n-1' or 'n-2' (as long as there're no such changes as
those from replacing libc5 with libc6 of course).

Thanks for any explanations on this subject (and congratulations to all
the Mandrake people for such great distribs !)

Nicolas Pomarede                   e-mail:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                             [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"It said uses Windows 95 or better, so I loaded Linux!"
"In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates ?"