Michael Brown wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Mar 2001, Stefan van der Eijk wrote:
> > > I'm using mandrake distribution since quite a time now, and I'm especially
> > > happy to see the activity on the Cooker which allow to keep up to date
> > > with the latest release.
> > > Therefore, there's stg that I find a little puzzling : why is it that
> > > every time a new release (ie MDK 8) is showing, all the RPM packages
> > > suddendly requires dependencies that weren't needed with the latest
> > > "official" release (MDK 7.2 in this case) ?
> > Mdk 8.0 has glibc 2.2, while 7.2 has an older one. They aren't
> > compatible, that's why rpm is complaining. If you want to install the
> > mdk 8.0 openssl on you're 7.2 machine, then you'll also need to upgrade
> > glibc, which will then force you to upgrade most other applications as
> > well --> something you could consider to be a complete OS upgrade.

> Isn't the new lib policy designed to fix this kind of problem, by letting
> you have several incompatible versions of the same library installed at
> once?

Hmmm... good question. Maybe in theory, it could be possible.

The way it works with Mandrake at the moment (please correct me if I'm
wrong) is that there is the glibc (2.2 for mdk8.0) and that other
"compat" (compat-glibc-7.2-2.1.3.3mdk.i586.rpm) packages are supplied to
solve the compatibility issues. Mainly to provide compatibility for 3rd
party applications (where you don't have the sources (& freedom) to
recompile for the glibc version you're running).

Stefan