On 3 Apr 2001, Chmouel Boudjnah wrote:

> John Cavan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Would it not make more sense for the install program to create the base
> > files in /etc and then execute update-passwd? Keeps /etc from being
> > littered with *.rpmnew files and keeps newbies from wondering what the
> > heck is going on.
>
> what's wrong with .rpmnew ?

Nothing for me, but think about it from a newbie perspective. They will
likely think that something went wrong during installation and around a
rather critical file.

Basically, all I'm suggesting is that we treat /etc/passwd and similar
files like XF86Config... create it, never install it. After that, specific
packages can add or remove as needed, including setup.

John