acar wrote:

> On Tuesday 03 April 2001 19:44, you wrote:
> > I have problems with install of LM8beta3 on computer with sis530 video
> > chipset in PCCHIPS 598LMR motherboard.
> >
> > With Mandrake Linux 7.1 all works fine, but with LM 7.2 and 8.0 I cann't
> > configure fine this video driver, I can use KDE but with a bad look.
> >
> > I tried to use xfree 3.8.6 and xfree 4.0.3 and have same problem.
> >
> > The video driver for this chipset is uptodate? Someone can use LM 8 with
> > this chipset?
> >
> > Sorry, my english is bad ;)
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> You need to use expert mode install and choose 3.3.6 with acceleration.
> Nothing else is likely to work.

I have the sis530 chipset as well.  There are a 3.3.6 works as suggested
above.  I am currently using it under 4.0.3 without problems but I had
to do the following changes.
During install it is detected as sis620 but I doubt that it makes a
difference as the same driver is used.

Try the following:

Make sure the default depth is 16bit.  I tried 24 bit but got very slow
performance although everything was working.
Add the following to XF86Config-4 manually under the device section:

        Option "FastVram"
        Option "noaccel"

 Probably these options could be added automatically by XFdrake for the
SIS530

Michel