On Sat, 7 Apr 2001, Andrej Borsenkow wrote:

> And now kernel includes ext2 even for people who do not use it? Honestly
> speaking, I'd very much like reiser to be static - I always shudder
> thinkng about root fs support not being in kernel.

Maybe you mean psycologically shaky, not it's unstable/unusable.
For that, I agree with you.

> Why not distribute minimal initrd that would include support for booting -
> i.e. SCSI drivers, possibly LAN drivers, and filesystems? Will it be as
> large? At least, if creation of local initrd fails, you can still boot
> your system.
>
> I do not need *any* external module except reiser - and still, my initrd
> is 650K large. The sum of kernel/drivers/{net,scsi} kernel/fs/* sizes is
> 3723 blocks == 1.8M - I expect, compressed it will be about 650K.

Why always "you don't need"? Others won't need it too? :(
Currently mkinitrd scans /etc/fstab for necessary fs and raid modules,
scans /etc/modules.conf for appropriate scsi modules, and scans /proc to
see if ide modules were needed. But don't expect the modules to load
automagically, it needs insmod and a shell too! So please check the source
carefully.

If it were your so-called "minimal" initrd, then how can one make sure
this initrd boots? Creating a even larger initrd with all scsi and ide
and raid modules to make sure it can boot with all systems?