On Saturday 07 April 2001 17:36, you wrote:
> > Could the drake series of tools be made distribution independent, like
> > linuxconf or webmin, for the purpose of allowing other distributions to
> > utilize them (namely redhat).
> > Two obvious benefits of this from the start would be a unification of
<snip>

> Unification of linux configuration.... eek... The reason most people like
> linux is because you can pick the one that works best for you. Unification
> is an M$ policy...............

Indeed.   Then again, nearly every distro has 'vi'.  Certaintly there are
always more than one way to do things (i personally dont use most of the drak
tools, but I find them to be fairly impressive).  While we enjoy a plethora
of different tools to do our jobs, balkanization isnt much better than
'unification'.

Besides,  one thing on our mind is to make linux in general easier to install
and use by the rest of the public.  If we had some 'killer conf tool',
spreading it around would help every distro gain an edge in ease of use and
newbie-friendliness.  This might help other distros get a leg up on Mandrake,
but then again, it could contribute to the spread of linux in general, thus
racking up more sales for macmillan :)

I think that redhat is still using their same old assorted gui conf tools.
Of course, they could always build their own customized suite of tools, but
why start from scratch?

> > What does redhat currently have for gui configuration tools btw?   Better
> > not
> > be linuxconf + 'control_panel'   hehe.
>
> Just  a side note.. Why not ask their list? Nothing in here pertains to the
> developement of the Mandrake 8.0 beta. No this isn't a flame, just a
> statement of fact.

Heh,  well mandrake-general was waaay too much for me to read.  Besides,  id
like to ask how feasible it would be to port harddrake, drakxtools, XFdrake,
etc to a variety of different distros.

Ill ask around,  though I have to find some RHAT developers first :)  Ill try
irc/usenet.

Thanks for listening

Jason