Hi.
I have the solo-1 audiodrive as well. I have found some *interesting*
idiosyncracies of this card.

>For the last few days, I have lost all sound.
>
>[sda@sdander sda]$ lspci 00:00.0 Host bridge: Acer Laboratories Inc.
>[ALi] M1541 (rev 04) 00:01.0 PCI bridge: Acer Laboratories Inc. [ALi]
>M5243 (rev 04) 00:02.0 USB Controller: Acer Laboratories Inc. [ALi]
>M5237 USB (rev 03) 00:03.0 Bridge: Acer Laboratories Inc. [ALi] M7101
>PMU 00:07.0 ISA bridge: Acer Laboratories Inc. [ALi] M1533 PCI to ISA
>Bridge [Aladdin IV] (rev c3) 00:0a.0 Multimedia audio controller: ESS
>Technology ES1969 Solo-1 Audiodrive (rev 01) 00:0b.0 Ethernet
>controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT86C100A [Rhine 10/100] (rev 06)
>00:0f.0 IDE interface: Acer Laboratories Inc. [ALi] M5229 IDE (rev c1)
>01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc 3D Rage Pro AGP
>1X/2X (rev 5c)
>
>Nothing is being written to /etc/modules.conf

My question is, what is your bios set to as far as Pnp? I had my system set
to PnP 'Yes' because I had an SMC Ultra ISA network card that REFUSED to
work without it.

After doing a little 'dmesg | more' I found an error at the beginning of
bootup that told me 'unable to reserve IRQ 0 for solo-1 audiodrive.'
I did a little deducing, and looked at my irq's (more /proc/interrupts)
and saw a system timer on IRQ 0, and my ISA card at IRQ 5. Hrmmm. So, I
turned PnP to 'no', and reserved IRQ 10 (the correct IRQ for the network
card) and SHABANG! I had sound.

You used to have sound?? What hardware have you added or what changes have
you made? This particular sound card is very picky about its configuration..
the BIOS may be botching it.
Also, if you just upgraded, I've found in the last 3 betas of LM8.0 that the
mixer's volume is set to -0- by default. Interesting, eh??

Also, how come on my latest installation of 8.0 beta 3 the artsd was not
running? On beta 1 it wasn't even installed, it didn't look like. I also
would have appreciated a small hint or two about artsdsp. Luckily I read the
documentation. As soon as I restarted arts, and made sure nothing was using
the sound, XMMS could play through it just fine as well as system
notification sounds ;)
Ravenhall