Geoffrey, here?

Merely my suggestion:

1) mark /usr/share/timidity/timidity.cfg with %%config, but a
*REPLACEABLE* one, OR
2) make timidity++ require timidity-instruments

Personally I'd suggest (1), because (2) will make the whole distribution
more bloated.... but that's up to you anyway :)

Abel Cheung

PS I've been using a modular configuration in timidity and it works
nicely, any plan to make the GUI in timidity modular? So that one needn't
hardcode timidity++ to use GTK interface!