less-358-8mdk-i586 and before has a problem viewing plain ascii text, at
least with my setup. When I try to view a text file using "$less
.bashrc" all I get is  ESC[36lESC>. when I type "$file .bashrc" I get
that it's ASCII text, so thats fine. If I type "cat .bashrc |less" it
works fine. So I looked at LESSOPEN='|/usr/bin/lesspipe.sh %s' and I
can't see much difference between this one and the Mandrake 7.2 one,
except this one has more options for viewing compressed files. If I
insert into it "ASCII*)   CMD='strings';;" as a 'file' type I can then
view text files. However postscript files don't show up, which are
certainly ACSII, I don't think I should have to literally specify every
file type? I'm stumped? I couldn't find any messages about this problem
either? Strange... ( I've also tried different less options like -aRM)

Maybe this isn't a problem with mpage-2.5.1-12mdk, but I used to do this
w/ Mandrake 7.2, I just copied it from that machine.
I have a script called mpage4margin  which has one line in it: mpage -4
-f -m50l50r $* so the text is folded and I get a margin for holed paper.

If I run it this way I don't get a problem
mpage -4 -f -m50l50r .bashrc >n.ps

if I run this
mpage4margin .bashrc >n.ps

The first line in the postscript file has some extra garbage in it
^[[36l^[>%!PS-Adobe-2.0
%%DocumentFonts: Courier Times-Bold

Where is this ^[[36 stuff coming from? Is this realated to my less
problem. Is this a problem with bash, SHELL=/bin/bash? bash-2.04-18mdk

Any tips or insight would be greatly appreciated!
John

ps. keep up the great work on Mandrake 8, I haven't had any "real"
problems yet.