>>> I disagree, I think it should be a choice on
>>> startup.
>>> Printing is one of the most confusing parts of
>>> linux
>>> and cups makes it so much simpler. Having cups but
>>> not
>>> broadcasting to someone who has never used it
>>> doesnt'
>>> help much.
>>
>> Sorry, maybe I am a stupid sysadmin that cannot see
>> the deep reason that will
>> crash my departmental cups server for 20000 times
>> when user will install 8.0!
>
> I have a feeling that the reason it is breaking your
> 7.2 cups server maybe either a bug in either the 8.0
> version or 7.2 version.

Do you have portsentry enabled?  I noticed the other day
that portsentry kept blocking packets from this one
particular box, and then I realized that the port number
was cups, and that the box was running cups and
portsentry thought it was some kind of attack.

If this is indeed the cause of the problem, I would have
to point the finger at Mandrake.  Portsentry and cups
with browsing enabled don't like each other, and that's
not acceptable.  Configure portsentry to ignore cups, or
turn cups browsing off.

(Just so you all know, I am speaking out of my ass.  I
did absolutely no research into this, I only saw a
problem and fixed it.. I turned off portsentry.  Didn't
really want it on that box anyway.)

Don Head
SAIR LCA, CIW-P, i-Net+, Network+, A+

Systems Administrator      [ [EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
Web Designer                            [ 1 314 997-7847 ]
[ AIM - Don Wave ] [ ICQ - 18804935 ] [ Yahoo - Don_Wave ]