I upgraded to kernel 2.4.3-19 and the upgrade issues
remain. These are:

Although the new kernel placed its version in system,
config and vmlinuz... the links to them are to the
last one (in this case 2.4.3-17).

Initrd is not being created or is only creating
2.4.3-12 (which is the first kernel I had trouble with
and the only one I ran /usr/share/loader/make-initrd)

It has been properly removing the previous kernel's
system, config, vmlinuz and inird during the upgrade.

The best way to repair this situation is still to go
as root to /usr/src/linux and type make install, then
when it is completed type lilo.

=====
SI Reasoning
[EMAIL PROTECTED]