The thing I'd like to know is if your running an ftp server, apache, mysql,
postfix, and three million other services. How do you check? at command
line:
services --status-all
If there are a bunch open, that's part of the problem. Your windows 95
system would expire on bootup if it was trying to run even just a few robust
services. Also, be sure you have no hardware misconfigurations/errors. Check
every log in /var/log, but importantly /var/log/messages .. also do a dmesg
| more and look for IRQ conflicts or other such nastiness. Remember, you are
running a system setup for MOST people. If you only want it to do the
equivalence of win95 operations (word-processing, solitaire, maybe telnet
and some web) then you need to trim it down a LOT. I turn off about 50% of
the services enabled by default on my workstations. I also go into
/etc/inted.d and make sure ALL services listed there say disabled when you
do a more <filename here>. Also, for security, make sure you have
/etc/hosts.deny with the following line in it:
ALL:all
If you want to run FTP, Apache or other services, you don't want that line,
so caveat emptor. If you DO want to run Apache and you already ARE, along
with 3 or 4 other services that you want to serve out to others, then shame
on you. Win95 can barely run apache when compiled correctly for it.