I also had the same problem (from a set of CDs I made myself from a
snapshot of cooker [4/13/01]), I made a more recent set of cds [4/19/01]
and did a expert install and now everything is fine.  The fonts look good
and I have no idea what is different... :-(  I pretty much do a 99% full
install (installing mandrake onto a 30gig drive) everytime and I wish
everyone luck in fixing it or figuring out what causes this to happen...I
am almost afraid of doing a full reinstall of the offical 8.0...  I
thought I hosed something up before and that's why I made the more recent
CDs and did a full reinstall....

Daniel McKee