On 23 Apr 2001, Guillaume Cottenceau wrote:

> > I've a similiar problem with scsi, but worse:-) I'm trying to install Mandrake 8.0
> > on a scsi only system, with the aic7xxx and ncr53c8xx modules and geting the same
> > kinds of timeouts and retries. Sometime it succeeds after a long while in
> > insmod'ing the aic7xxx and then loops trying do load the other scsi-module. What to
> > do, I can't even install?
>
> What if you try to install with the relevant boot floppy from
> /images/alternatives ? There are 2.2 kernels, if the driver is not too
> much backported from 2.4 yet ;-), it may solve your issue..

I had the same problem with my adaptec cdrom....many timeouts and problems
during the install.  After I installed a minimal base system (took 1 hour
for <100M waiting for timeouts) I was able to copy the files off the cdrom
and run rpmdrake to install the rest of the toys.

I also noticed a bug in rpmdrake during this process.  When I selected
packages from both CDs I wasn't prompted to insert the proper CD, it just
bailed.  I got around this by copying all the files to my hard disk (i was
fortunate to have >1.2g free on /home for the files)

I also tried my BusLogic adapter, which was detected as a BusLogig but the
BusLogic.o module was nowhere to be found.

This happened with the boot image on the CD itself as well as all the
images under /images/alternatives.

-dwild