On Monday 23 April 2001 02:01, you wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 22, 2001 at 12:50:11PM -0700, guest wrote:
> > Very likely you have chosen a RAID configuration incompatible with the
> > filesystems.
>
> Regardless of what his raid configuration says or what color his
> underwear is, :-) a segfault is a bug that needs to be fixed.  I am
> sure the Mandrakers know this but just to clarify for everyone else,
> "Segmentation fault" is ALWAYS a bug that should be reported.
>
> b.

Okay.   I have recently come to the conclusion that I may not successfully
make any SCSI disk partition greater than 1000 MB

If a partition is greater than 1G, mke2fs segfaults  (this has been tried
using the new and old aic7xxx modules)

If the partition is less than 1G, mke2fs works just fine.  Mkreiserfs seems
to hang - i cant remember if its supposed to provide any feedback as it
works.

Oh guess what else!

weve got kernel panics!!    Repeated bothering of any aic7xxx related
device on this machine may randomly cause the system to hang abruptly,
along with a cute 'AIEEEEEEEEEEEE' message to the console.  I think this
only happened while i had the aic7xxx_old module loaded, but im not certain.

In both instances, it happened just as I typed 'fdisk /dev/sdb' i believe

I recently low-level formatted both disks with the Adaptec scsi manager.
As well, I ran a 'verify media' test on both disks, and they came back
clean it seems.  This was before my recent round of tests.

Also,  i believe someone else on this list was complaining that the newer
aic7xxx module _severely_ impeded the system performance.  I believe I have
noticed that as well, in two seperate tests where i performed 'rpm -Uvh
/mnt/cd0/Mandrake/RPMS/e2fsprogs* --force'  (mandrake 8 cd) with both the
aic7xxx and aic7xxx_old module.  The new one took considerably longer, and
actually aborted with scsi read errors.

I dont think my hardware is at fault btw..  its been working fine up until
i started playing around with software raid options.  Then again, at the
time i fdisked/formatted these disks,  Im sure that I was using an earlier
kernel, and likely an earlier e2fsprogs package.

I would appreciate an investigation into the compatibility of the 'aha7xxx'
line of adaptec scsi cards with a current mandrake 8 system.

ps - i donated 20$ :)

Jason