I managed to get a decent connection to an ftp site over the weekend to
download Mandrake 8.0 final, and then to install it yesterday.

Overall impressions are very good.

The big surprise came when I gave the command to shutdown from the graphical
interface.  The system hung at the point that it displayed the message,
"Unmounting file systems."  And, when I give the command to reboot from the
graphical interface that the system hangs at the point that it displays the
message, "Current state: Reboot.  Please stand by while reboots the system."

In both cases, I've had to use the hardware reboot button to proceed.  The
system has hung each time I've tried to shutdown or reboot since then.  Each
time afterwards the system seems to boot back up ok.

All of my partitions (/, /usr, and /home) are formatted with reiserfs.

This problem did not exist on the same hardware for either Mandrake 8.0 beta
3 or with version 7.2.  I have an Azza KT133A 266 MHz 100 UDMA motherboard,
with 128 MB PC133 SDRAM, and with a 20.4 GB Maxtor UDMA 66 7200 RPM hard
drive.

Has this happened to anyone else?
John Kintree
4043 Delor Street