Probably because of the 'unstable development versions of C++ compiler - gcc
2.96' in current Mandrake and RedHat.
I just uninstalled avifile.  I fetched avifile 0.6.0 from CVS at sourceforge,
followed the advice from http://divx.euro.ru and did:

        "Manually edit the source code and remove all instances of keyword
        'inline' from lib/audiodecoder/mpeg/filter.cpp and filter_2.cpp."

Then, after minor editing of the makefile ( it's cvs, after all ) I
successfully built it in 8.0 - it runs well.

If anyone else wants to try this, be sure you have libSDL-devel installed
first - it's not installed by default in 8.0.

Regards,
Peter
                  Linux Mandrake release 8.0 (Cooker) for i586
                                   KDE 2.1.1
                Linux 2.4.3-20mdk, Uptime 1 day 6 hours 8 minutes