-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Quel Qun
Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2001 10:28 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Cooker] SGI releases XFS for Linux

Chmouel Boudjnah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Quel Qun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Kyle Jacobs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > I think this new file system should be available in the next
> > > cooker, just for "testing" purposes.  After all, you never know
> > > if it's better than ReiserFS until you try it...  Right?
> > >

> > Well, there is  an obvious advantage to XFS. The max file system size is
18
> > thousand petabytes, compared to 16 TeraB for ReiserFS. Even more
important
if
> > you are using huge files, the max file size is 9 thousand petabytes for
XFS
> > (4GB for ReiserFS?). Now, my hard drive is only 7GB.
> >
> > There is an article I liked comparing some journaling file systems at:
> >
> > http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue55/florido.html
> >
> > I don't want to start a war about which is better. I just thing XFS is
at
> > least worth a try.
>
> yes but the integration is a big pain...

Take your time, man! I know I'm just 'pushing the cork' (asking for too much
in English :).

I just have the feeling SGI gave a lot to linux lately (desperate move,
maybe), and we owe them a bit of effort.

Changing the file format on the user side is going to be a pain on the user
side too. Backup, reformat, reinstall... that takes a while.

There's no hurry, it's just to keep track with the 'bleeding edge'.

I'm out for holidays anyhow (back to Paris for a week, yeah!) ;-))

Cheers.

=-=
kk1