On Thursday 03 May 2001 00:15, Peter Ruskin wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 May 2001 22:12, Chmouel Boudjnah wrote:
> > Peter Ruskin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > > After issuing /sbin/ifup ppp0, I get this message...
> > >   domainname: you must be root to change the domain name
> > > ...then it connects OK.
> > >
> > > Should I be concerned about this?
> >
> > which initscripts,
>
> [00:02 peter@penguin:~]$ rpm -qa|grep initscripts
> initscripts-5.82-10mdk
>
> But I emptied /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts and copied contents of
> network-scripts from 7.2, because otherwise I couldn't connect with
> /sbin/ifup ppp0 as user or root ( see
> http://www.mail-archive.com/cooker@linux-mandrake.com/msg34782.html )
>
> > and you run it as root or as user with USERCTL=yes ?
>
> As user with USERCTL=yes

It's just done it again...

$ /sbin/ifup ppp0
domainname: you must be root to change the domain name
Users cannot control this device

So I used Netconf to say users can.
$ /sbin/ifup ppp0      now doesn't give the (Users can't) error, but the
modem ( external USR 56K message modem on ttyS0 ) says "beep boop" and stops.
When I ^C to abort, I get "Failed to activate ppp0 with error 32" message.

I've copied 7.2's network-scripts over _AGAIN_ to get it working, except for
the "domainname: you must be root to change the domain name" message.

This is getting very irritating now.
--
     Linux Mandrake release 8.0 (Traktopel) for i586, KDE: 2.1.1, Qt: 2.3.0
                 Linux 2.4.3-20mdk,  Uptime 16 hours 29 minutes