Subject: Re: [Cooker] Running more than 1 X session on the same box
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 01:48:31 +0100
From: Peter Ruskin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

On Friday 20 April 2001 21:33, Serge wrote:
> On Friday 20 April 2001 21:49, you wrote:
> > I used to be able to do this, for example to run Moorhuhn or Win4Lin
> > full-screen on VT8.  However now it appears I "don't own the console"
> > and they won't run.  Does anyone know how to fix?
>
> If i understood you well you want gor instance run 2 users X sessions .
> for that from another tty do:
> $startx -- 2:
>
> your new X display will be on F8

Yes, that ( startx -- :1 ) works from a tty.  I want to do it from an
xterm.  Moorhuhn's command line is something like :
DISPLAY=":4" xinit `which wine`  -display :4 \
        /usr/lib/games/moorhuhn/moorhuhn.exe -- $(which Xwrapper 2>/dev/null) \
        -depth 8 :4

...to which I get
        Authentication failed - cannot start X server.
        Perhaps you do not have console ownership?

It must be something to do with permissions/authorisation, as I can
successfully run this command as root - I *don't* want to be root to play
games.
                 Linux Mandrake release 7.2 (Odyssey) for i586
                                    KDE 2.1
              Linux 2.2.17-27mdkWin4Lin, Uptime 3 hours 52 minutes

                 Linux Mandrake release 7.2 (Odyssey) for i586
                                    KDE 2.1
               Linux 2.2.17-27mdkWin4Lin, Uptime 1 hour 57 minutes