At 12:14 AM 5/13/01, you wrote:
>Submitted 12-May-01 by David Relson:
> > He didn't say that the kernel requires 2.96.
>
>I beg to differ:
>
>On Sun, Apr 22, 2001 at 01:11:31PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > This is from Linus tree. You currently need gcc 2.96 or higher to
> > build the 2.4.x kernel.

Anton,

What's needed keeps changing.  Seems like, at one point in time, the kernel
was using a _builtins_xxx macro of some sort that did need the new
compiler.  Changes were made to the kernel source to allow it to use older
compilers.

On May 9 Alan Cox said "You can build 2.4 quite sanely with egcs-1.1.2 (aka
kgcc)".  See
http://www.uwsg.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0105.1/0180.html.

He has also said he presently uses 2.96 exclusively for kernel
work.  Unfortuantely, I don't have a citation for that statement.

FWIW, my Mandrake 8.0 system has been running 2.4.4 for the last 11 days 16
hours ... and counting.  It was built with Mandrake 8.0's
kgcc  (egcs-1.1.2-44mdk).

David

David Relson                   Osage Software Systems, Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]       Ann Arbor, MI 48103
www.osagesoftware.com          tel:  734.821.8800