I had this problem with the 2.4.3 kernels, I had to recreate the
symlinks in /boot which were obvious what to create them to, then I had
to do a mkinitrd to recreate the initrd.img file in boot and created a
symlink to that, then I believe I needed to rerun lilo to rewrite the
boot sector, but that may not have been necessary...
   It seems to me that someone really left out some stuff in the rpm
script... I didn't know if this was on purpose or not, but for someone
who didn't know what they were doing it was a nightmare..

hope this helps