Francisco Alcaraz Ariza wrote:

> What about XFree86 4.0.3?

XFree86 4.0.3 (as in Mandrake) is O.K. The reason os changed logic in
startx. In Mandrake8, startx added command line parameters to xinit
arguments and correctly handled the case of program name as first argument:

sysclientrc=/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
clientargs=""

while [ "x$1" != "x" ]; do
     case "$1" in
         /''*|\.*)       if [ "$whoseargs" = "client" ]; then
                     if [ "x$clientargs" = x ]; then
                         clientargs="$1"
                     else
                         clientargs="$clientargs $1"
                     fi

Now in current version startx is unconditionally using command line
arguments if given:

sysclientrc=/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
defaultclientargs=""
clientargs=""
while [ "x$1" != "x" ]; do
     case "$1" in
     --)
         whoseargs="server"
         ;;
     *)
         if [ "$whoseargs" = "client" ]; then
             clientargs="$clientargs $1"
if [ x"$clientargs" = x ]; then
     clientargs="$defaultclientargs"
fi

That is wrong because default command to start (initrc) is lost in this
case.

-andrej