At 02:48 AM 2001/6/7 +0200, you wrote:

> > The best fix seems to be merging GConf and libGConf1 together into 1
> > package.
> >
>That would prevent you from installing both programs depending on
>libGConf1 and (future) libGConf2 at the same time because of
>conflicting files.
>
>I think the dependency on libGConf1 can be dropped when the GConf
>programs (at least gconftool) are linked statically against libgconf.
>Not nice, but AFAICS it would break the loop.

If there will be a future release of libGConf2,  I *STRONGLY* believe that
GConf interface will be rewritten too, as well as the API. So far (during
these several years) I've never seen any software that has a rewritten library
yet keeps the API as well as the user interface program constant across
versions.

Abel