I don't actually know when this occured as I haven't been on my Cooker
sysetm as a user in a while.  I logged on as wokan and typed "startx".
Couldn't find it.  Logging in as root, it could.  A check of the path
differences showed that users don't have /usr/bin/X11 in their path.
Typing /usr/bin/X11/startx as a user was useless.  Since other needed
programs weren't in my path, X failed to start.

I found the path necessary commented out in /etc/profile with a comment
above stating that it's handled by Mandrake security.  I think I set the
security level to medium, though maybe it's on high.  I guess I won't
know since bringing up the MCC and selecting the security settings
showed a selection of "Welcome to Crackers" which I know I would never
have chosen.  Can MCC's security selector be changed to show the
currently selected security level?

I've chosen Medium.  Hopefully that fixes the path problem.