I have tried to mirror cooker and make the iso files several times.  Since
everyone else makes these with no problems, I figured I must be doing
something wrong.

There was something wrong with the mkcds install script at first.  Then I
found out mkisofs is not installed by default and installed it.  Now, the
result is fairly standard:

    a.  A message saying I don't have locale configured right, which I
checked and found that locale is installed and appears to be configured.

    b.  At the end of the script, messages that files were not found in the
scripts and were being added to the last iso file.  This happens no matter
how many times I repeat the mirroring process.  (I could not get the DSL
connection to work in linux so I am using a windows program called
syncromagic that seems to make a copy of the site and delete non-matching
files.)

c.  Result:  I get three iso files, one 1.2 gigs in size and the other 2 of
0 bytes apiece.  I got this same result once by running mkcds.pl by itself.

Is there something else that needs to be installed besides mkisofs?  I have
bzip and gzip on there.  Does it make a difference that the cooker files and
iso destination directory are on windows partitions?  I have been putting
them there so as not to lose the files if I screw up a linux installation
fooling around.