>[what BuildRequires dependencies should source packages include?  Surely
>packages like bash should be considered 'essential' and don't need to be
>listed.]
>
>>How about this as a baseline: the setup you get when you buy a Mandrake
>>boxed set and choose the 'newbie install' hitting Enter for every
>>option.  This includes make and gcc, but not that many -devel packages.
>>

>And how about a package 'essential-devel' which depends on gcc, make and
>all the other devel stuff included in a Mandrake default install.  This
>package wouldn't contain any files, it would just act as a convenient
>collection of dependencies, so that if essential-devel is installed you
>know the basic stuff is there.
>
>Packages could then list:
>
>BuildRequires: essential-devel >= 8.0

Then you'll need to install one package that Provides: essential-devel.
I'm not sure if this is the way to go, it's got an "artificial" feeling...

>along with separate BuildRequires lines for more exotic stuff that isn't
>part of the basic install.

The result of the "BR march" should be that no matter which package
you're going to rebuild, if you install the BuildRequires, a (hopefully)
good package is going to come out. It's all got todo with closing the
gaps in the dependancies. How these gaps are going to be closed will
need to be seen, probably each case will find it's own solution.

Hmmm... let me upload todays result ;-)

Stefan